Thursday, December 27, 2012

Top Ten Book Boyfriends of 2012


Hey guys :) After telling you all about my favorite books, covers, and villains of 2012, now it's time for my book boyfriends... and choosing was tough, though made slightly easier by the fact that some of my top book boyfriends are from novels I haven't read this past year. I'll have to make a post about them some time...


Here are my favorites of the past year:

Varen Nethers from Kelly Creagh's Nevermore series
I'm really glad that I re-read Nevermore to prepare for Enshadowed, so I could choose this cover. Varen would have topped my list anyway, read in 2012 or not. I went completely nuts about this book as soon as I first read it, and the year-long wait for the sequel nearly killed me. It was very much worth it though! I love Varen's mysteriousness, implied vulnerability, intelligence, looks (dark haired and green eyed? Yes please. And the cover model is perfect.), musical and dressing taste, humor, handwriting and choice of ink color, car... the list goes on. I am also slightly scared of him... in a good way.


Tod Hudson from Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers series
I liked Tod from the beginning, but absolutely loved him in If I Die and Before I Wake. His humor, his loyalty, his wit, his courage. How perfectly he understands and suits Kaylee. I have marked up so many of his quotes, and actually found myself sighing out loud. Which is untypical for me. Nevermind that he's dead, selectively visible, can walk through walls, and short-range teleport.


Ash from Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series
I've only read the first three books but I love Ash. He's winter court, and I am winter born. His sword skills and looks do not hurt. Neither does the fact that beyond the icy exterior he is actually caring and passionate when it comes to Meghan. When he pledged himself to her in The Iron Queen I had tears in my eyes...


Bram from Lia Habel's Dearly, Departed
If you had told me that a ZOMBIE would be one of my favorite book boyfriends of the year, I would have laughed at you. Then I would have told you Hell No. That was before Bram. That his face is still intact and he doesn't look zombie-gruesome apart from the pallor certainly helps. But from the beginning, I liked the parts from his POV. He is just such an honest, loyal, selfless guy. I love him and Nora as a couple, and kept trying very hard not to think about how little time they will actually have together because of his inescapable eventual demise.


Ash Fisher from Elizabeeth Richard's Black City
I still owe you guys the review for this novel... my apologies! I loved Ash from the beginning. I could tell that much already from the sample chapters I read months before the book actually came out. He is smart, tall, edgy, my type. I liked his sarcasm. I even liked his... realistic hopelessness? His yearning for the Darkling side of the wall? But I found that I liked him even more when he finally found something worth fighting for. Worth dying for. (Damn now I want to re-read the book...)


Daemon Black from Jennifer L. Armentrout's Lux series
I would find Daemon incredibly infuriating. I think if I met him in real life, we would be bitching at each other non-stop. But I would feel drawn to him anyway. I've only read the first two books but I adore how much he cares about Katy and how they can push each other's buttons. Also, he's super strong and fiercely loyal to his sister.


Adrian Ivashkov from Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy and Bloodlines
I remember finding him very annoying when he first shows up in VA, but then I grew to like him. Great humor. I felt very sorry for him at the end of VA, though I thought Rose did belong with Dimitri. I never would have guessed that I would start shipping him with Sydney of all people! I didn't even like her until I was inside her head. I love Adrian trying to change and become a better person. Plus, he's an artist, and a little tragic. But his way with words is what really does me in.


Cassel Sharpe from Holly Black's Curse Workers series
Oh Cassel. Another tragic case. The actually good guy who can never conceive of himself as such. His family is completely wacked and I would never want to meet any of them, but Cassel is so full of guilt over what he believes to have done... he's different. His grandpa thinks so too, was my impression. Cassel has great snark, an incredibly resourceful mind, and amazing ideas for cons and how to pull them off. My heart kept breaking for what was happening to him during the series. Over and over.


Sebastian from Kelly Keaton's Gods and Monsters series
I liked him from the moment Ari laid eyes on him. Another boy fighting the nature of who and what he is... are you beginning to see a pattern in my boy choices? Sebastian is half warlock half vampire and caught in the middle of two of the most powerful families in all of New 2, a re-imagined New Orleans. Powerful. Smart. Torn. And ready to help Ari with whatever she needs. I adore him, and I'm so glad there will be a third books after all!


Cas Lowood from Kendare Blake's Anna Dressed in Blood
Cas' voice was one of my favorites I read all year. I love snarky and sarcastic. Cas tries never to get emotionally involved with anybody, because he knows that as soon as he solves one of his ghost hunter cases, he will have to move anyway. He is incredibly determined and strong, and exceptionally good at what he's doing. Boys with knives. Yum. Provided the knives are not pointed in my direction. I also liked to see him slowly change and come to appreciate having friends and opening up to them a bit. Can't wait for Girl of Nightmares to come out in paperback so I can read more of him and Anna!


Honorable mentions:
Noah from Katie McGarry's Pushing The Limits, Ziri from Laini Taylor's Days of Blood & Starlight (I don't care that he's a minor character!), Kaidan Rowe from Wendy Higgin's Sweet Evil. Maybe I should have put Kaidan in above - he's certainly hot and conflicted enough. Hm... Oh well. I bet he was picked by enough others ;)

So what do you guys think of my picks? Anyone you felt the same about? Someone you would kick off the list immediately? Leave the link to your own post if you have one, I'm curious :)

2 comments:

  1. Varnen, Tod, Adrian, Ash, Bram, Daemon, Cas!!!! Kai is an honorable mention for me too! There are just too many great boyfriends!
    My Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  2. THE IRON KNIGHT. Forever and then some.

    I still haven't read Anna Dressed In Blood (I knowwwww) but I've seen it on quite a few of the end of 2012 best lists!

    ReplyDelete